FOR PARENTS AND CAREGIVERS
FREE Education and Support for Parents & Caregivers of Children & Teens with Mental Illnesses.
NAMI Basics is a free, 6-week education program for parents and family caregivers of children and teens who are experiencing symptoms of a mental illness or whom have already been diagnosed. NAMI Basics is offered in a group setting so you can connect with other people face-to-face. You’ll learn the facts about mental health conditions and how best to support your child at home, at school and when they’re getting medical care. The course is taught by a trained team with lived experience—they know what you’re going through because they’ve been there. The 6-session program provides critical strategies for taking care of your child and learning the ropes of recovery.
What You’ll Gain At NAMI Basics:
You’ll find out that you’re not alone. Recovery is a journey, and there is hope. The group setting of NAMI Basics provides mutual support and shared positive impact—you can experience compassion and reinforcement from people who understand your situation. You also can help others with your own experience.
This Course Includes:
- Emotional reactions of the family to having a child with mental illness
- Insight & understanding of the lived experience of the child living with a mental illness.
- Current information about major diagnoses (ADHD, Major Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Oppositional Disorder, Conduct Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Childhood Onset Schizophrenia, Substance Abuse Disorders and Co-Morbid Disorders).
- Current research related to brain biology
- Problem solving, listening and communication skills workshops
- Strategies for handling challenging behaviors
- Crisis Management
- Navigating the mental health system & locating supports & services in the community
- Advocacy, fighting stigma
This Class is FREE but registration is REQUIRED!
To join the waiting list or for more information, please contact: NAMI-KC at 816-931-0030
Ken Dawn (Care Coordination): Ext. 21
HERE IS A VIDEO FROM NAMI NATIONAL: